January 24, 2019

IndexCopernicus Iran
Home Page
News
Journals List
Top 100 Journals
Recently Added Journals
Publishers
Top 20 Publishers
IC Iran Committee Members
Local office address

IndexCopernicus International
Home Page
IC Journals Master List
IC Scientists
IC Conferences

 

IndexCopernicus™ Journal Abstract

 
Isolation of Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains producing metallo beta lactamases from infections in burned patients and identification of blaIMP and blaVIM genes by PCR
F Mihani , A Khosravi
IJMM 2007; 1(1):23-31
ICID: 492278
Article type: Original article
IC™ Value: 3.25
Abstract provided by Publisher
 
Background & objectives: Pseudomonas aeruginosa is one of the most important causes of nosocomial infections particularly in immunodeficient patients. Several antibiotics such as betalactams, aminoglycosides and quinolones are used for the treatment of infections caused by this organism, but the prevalence of multidrug resistant strains has been reported frequently. Beta lactamase production is one of the most important resistant factors. Metallo-beta-lactamase (MBLs) have a broad-substrate spectrum, they hydrolyse all beta-lactams except for the monobsctam aztreonam. In this study, the metallo-beta-lactamase production in Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains were investigated. Material and Methods: Initially, the antibiotic resistance pattern of 100 clinical strains isolated from infections in burned patients in Ahwaz Taleghani hospital was determined by disc diffusion method. All the clinical Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates nonsusceptible to imipenem were screened for production of MBLs by Etest with imipenem/ imipenem plus EDTA (Etest MBL).DNA was extracted from colonies by simple boiling method. The extracted DNAs were then examined by PCR involving specific primers for blaVIM and blaIMP MBL genes. Results: Based on the obtained results, the percentage of resistance was as below: Cefepime100%, Ceftazidime81%, Ticarcillin70%, Imipenem41%, Meropenem23% and Piperacillin20%. The investigation for MBL production in the strains resistant to IPM by Etest MBL showed that 8 out of 41(19/51%) Imipenem resistant isolates were MBL producers. All the clinical P. aeruginosa isolates that were nonsusceptible to IPM were then examined by PCR for the presence of the blaVIM and bla IMP genes. Of the 41 P.aeruginosa strains isolated during the study period, 8(19/51%) were positive for blaVIM gene.The results from PCR assay represented thet 8 isolates among 41 IPM resistant strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa were positive for blaVIM gene. The remaining 33(80/49%) were negative for VIM and IMP MBLs. Conclusion: The results of this investigation in agreement with shows that, the antibiotic resistance of Pseudomonas aeruginosa is increasing in burn hospitals and the MBLs production can be the cause of this issue.

ICID 492278


Related articles
  • in IndexCopernicus™
         metallo-beta-lactamase [1 related records]
         antibiotic resistance [20 related records]
         Pseudomonas aeruginosa [150 related records]




  •